gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Welcome to the Obscurus Crusade!
To use the Pepakura File Library you must be logged in.

gfx gfx
gfx
49152 Posts in 2543 Topics by 5036 Members - Latest Member: snorvargen May 22, 2019, 01:21:37 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  A Newb and his Trials
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A Newb and his Trials  (Read 1360 times)

Offline MrInhumane

• Initiate
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I've decided to start a Space Marine Ultramarine Captain based primarily on the character from the Space Marine game by THQ. When I was first introduced to the Warhammer 40k tabletop, the Ultramarines lured me in and I got hooked.

Here's what I've got planned out:
  • Pepakura base
  • Resin/Fiberglass Smoothcast 320 (should be more lightweight)
  • Foam skin (based on successes from Kol's build)
  • Plasti dip or PVA glue/water coating to seal foam (thoughts? experiences?) 
  • Foam/PVC chainsword/bolt pistol (using pep files for sizing/base shape)

I've pepped the helmet and started the chest, but I'll sadly need to redo both. I didn't do enough research before these and got the size completely wrong. The helmet is too small (my chin sticks out and if I add any padding, my eyes won't line up and I'll be trying to look through the cheek) and the chest is too big (my shoulder joint is too far from the edge, so I can't relax my arms at all). Images below.

Since the helmet wouldn't fit me, I tried to convert my girlfriend's daughter, but I think she's a heretic in disguise (time will tell, but I'm watching her  )

I also started on the chainsword (needed a break from the paper cutting/folding). This has been a learning experience for me as well, but so far I'm pleased with it. It's just the base, so there's a lot of detailing to add and a whole lot of fixing to do, but I'm pleased with it up to this point.

Would bondo be good to fill the gaps in the back? The only other option I can think of is a belt sander to even it out, but I don't want to dig it out too much there.

The core is PVC, so I got a PVC cap to end it with, but I'm going to top it with an eagle flagpole topper. I'm still looking for something better, but so far I've found this: http://www.usaflags.com/eagle-top-ornament...urce=googlebase

As the title says, I'm a complete newb to all of this, so any thoughts/guidance/tips/criticism is highly appreciated. And I promise, I won't be offended if you're harsh with me.

Hopefully with some time and a lot of trial and error I'll be in the Costume Gallery.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:50:22 PM by MrInhumane »

Offline sandy1973

• Scout
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
So far so good. As for the back of your sword you can top it off with craft foam and plastidip is the best foam coating medium. Modpodge & gesso is ok for low cost medium.

Offline MrInhumane

• Initiate
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »
How far will the plastidip go? My only concern is the difference in cost between the PVA glue and plastidip. Got tipped onto the PVA glue by watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dctys6wgI7c

I"ve heard of modpodge, but not gesso. I'll have to look into those. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:47:50 PM by MrInhumane »

Offline sandy1973

• Scout
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
At least two good coat of plastidip will do for each piece and one whole suit will use 3-4 spray cans of plastidip. I ran out of plastidip and unable to buy anymore of this item so I tried modpodge but it made the paint stay sticky and I left the helmet ( has modpodge plus acrylic paint) on top of the chest piece ( has the same thing on) and when I lift the helmet the paint got chip of the chest piece. The gesso is ok. I used clear gesso on the chainsword and painted with acrylic paint and it worked great.

Offline Finnlock

• Sororatis Fan Boy
  • Administrator
  • Company Champion
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
Read this thread. The last pages deal with a new way to make flexable non-wrinkle finish foam covered armor.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-rondo-plus-...lexible-149883/

Nothing that should be to hard to get a hold of either.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:47:28 PM by MrInhumane »

Offline MrInhumane

• Initiate
  • :
A Newb and his Trials
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
Nice! Thanks Finnlock. It looks pretty easy to do and it gives a great finish. Looks like it would add quite a bit to the cost though. I'll definitely have to look into that more once I get to that stage.

Obscurus Crusade  |  Costuming  |  Space Marines  |  A Newb and his Trials

gfxgfx
gfx gfx